Friday, February 6, 2009

Dora bothers me

This is another observation from Eric, Spouse of Tina.  So don't blame her for any politically incorrect comments or misspellings.

Evan the Boy occasionally watches TV.  By occasionally, I mean he wonders about the house with his dinosaurs and other weapons of mass destruction while the TV is on.  Only when Wonder Pets are on does the world stop.  While not quite revered as Lenny, Tuck and Ming Ming (for the uninitiated, these are the Wonder Pets and, yes, I know the theme song), Evan does like Diego and his cousin Dora the Explorer.

But Dora bothers me.

Some have mocked that a boy shouldn't watch Dora because she is a girl.  For us, this is not a problem.  And the fact she hangs out with a monkey wearing red boots, albeit unconventional, is tolerable.  Hey, it worked for Reagan, Tarzan and Michael Jackson.  But Dora has a condition that must be more taboo to discuss than Obama's Dumboesque ears: She has a huge head.


I mean look at it.  Sure she's a young girl and may grow into it much like a puppy grows up to fit its large floppy feet and ears.  But maybe something is wrong.  Maybe she has a tumor.  Maybe she's a mongoloid.  Maybe she simply has an undersized body (I can related, my body it oversized).

It must be a unique condition rather than genetic, because her cousin shows not such effects.  See?  Diego is a strapping young buck, gets homeschooled and strolls about the Amazon and Antarctic without parental permission. 


But Dora's melon is just plain huge.  It's 2.3 Citroens wide and 4.5 Citroens tall!  Her noggin should weigh approximately 435 lbs.  Yet she still manages to smile...


Not only is her head huge, it looks vaguely familiar.  Do you see it too?


How about now?  That's over 10.35 square Citroens of pure football goodness propped up on her stumpy neck!


The girl will never have a normal life.  Check out these recent pics of her playing hide-and-seek with her boot wearing monkey...

        

Sure, life isn't always fair.  Some of us were born short, others tall, some have hair, others have hair that is falling out every day faster than it is graying...  But it made me think, what if my boy Evan was big-headed?  


It could happen, I suppose.  Note the fleet of dinosaurs deployed in front of Evan...

But poor Dora's list o' challenges keeps growing.  Ever notice that she carries a backpack?  I mean, she always carries her backpack.  I wonder if she's hiding something...


If she went backpack-less, would we see something like this?



I was feeling sorry for the girl, but a quick search on the factually accurate Internet revealed other bigheaded, mongoloid hunchbacks in the world...

Trust me that the big baby melon on the left had a hunchback attached at one time, but it wouldn't fit thru the museum's door.  But that's what meat saws are for.  As for Teddy, Dora is actually beginning to look normal.  And she can swim too.

In all, it does make you think a bit.  A few days ago, Tina posted a blog on Evan's attempt at cosmetology via poo.  Parenting has its own unexpected thrills.  We are thankful our little monkey came with a healthy impact-proven melon, extra loud lungs, dent resistant arms and legs, etc.  But putting into perspective, Dora has a great attitude and heart.  We remain truly blessed our crumbcruncher has a wonderful attitude and huge heart.  Without heart, what good are the 10 fingers and toes we so quickly count immediately after our little ones arrive.

So Dora's oversized skull may be an obvious "feature" (and it still bothers me) but the girl's got heart.  Show your heart too, and give your kids an extra hug today...

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Two things:

1. I wish my husband would guest post for me, but the guy won't even join facebook. What a social loon.

2. Ever heard of the comedian Brian Regan? Go rent his Standing Up DVD. There is a part in it that he performs that you'll be able to truly appreciate.

Rebecca said...

Great post Eric! I agree with Melanie! Brian Regan was the comedian I was telling you about a while back!! Hilarious!

E. Dutton said...

Melanie, I'm with Jeff. I refuse to do Facebook too. I think the blog format is more me. I'll search around for Brian Regan. Sounds like something fun to watch on the plane.

Shelley n Shawn said...

Brian Regan is hilarious...but even funnier if you're not watching him. Try to score some sound bites so you don't have to watch his dorky Dora-esque noggin. Worth the trouble, buh-leeve me.